Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lazy Starting Issue Fixed... I think!!

DucatiRob

Mugello
I have had the lazy starting issue with my car for almost as long as I've owned it, over 5 years! I've gone through all of the usual suspected weak points and over time changed the battery, alternator, starter motor and earth cable to starter, none of which made much of a lasting difference. It's never been a huge problem, always started and except for the odd embarrassing just about lurching into life at the petrol station when hot, has never let me down.

Anyway... not started the car for over a week since returning from Dinslaken until today to give it a wash, hadn't put it on charge either, expected it to sluggishly start but it spun up faster that I think it ever has!

Not touched anything electrical recently except for removing the door panel to clean the door switch contacts and disconnecting the battery to remove the steering wheel!

Wondering what could have changed!

Surprised and a little confused :lol: :?:

Have you checked the power distributor pin ? just a thought anyways as you seem to have covered just about everything else .

Basically just see if it moves freely at the bulkhead end ... you don't need to remove it for this .. if very stiff then theres a good chance this is corroded and you can remove to confirm .

If your starter is starting much faster than the norm, then it sounds as if when you disconnected/reconnected the battery you have made a better connection to the battery. You don't need much series resistance to effect the starter given the 100A+ of starting current.

Hot start problem is normally the starter motor feed cable ( the crimping degrades over time ).

Will be interesting to see if your hot start problem also goes away or is much reduced.

All the best
Andrew

deMort said:
Have you checked the power distributor pin ? just a thought anyways as you seem to have covered just about everything else .

Basically just see if it moves freely at the bulkhead end ... you don't need to remove it for this .. if very stiff then theres a good chance this is corroded and you can remove to confirm .

It's the one thing that I still intend to replace deMort, however I did check this about a year ago, removed the connector and it was in surprising good condition, no obvious corrosion and it was moving freely and easy to remove, I did give it a good clean but it didn't make any difference at the time!

andrews7889 said:
If your starter is starting much faster than the norm, then it sounds as if when you disconnected/reconnected the battery you have made a better connection to the battery. You don't need much series resistance to effect the starter given the 100A+ of starting current.

Hot start problem is normally the starter motor feed cable ( the crimping degrades over time ).

Will be interesting to see if your hot start problem also goes away or is much reduced.

All the best
Andrew

The battery connection is a possibility but I have disconnected this so many time in the past, I think its unlikely!

You are right about the hot start problem, planning to take it out tomorrow for a good run so will check this out :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back