Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Key stuck in ignition

johnnym996

After being without my car for over a month and a half while it was having work done to it, I finally got it back at the weekend. However, I went out for a blast last night and when I got home, I turned the car off but couldn't get they key out. The ignition switch is clearly knackered and I found the guide on here how to replace it and I ordered a new one.

Luckily I managed to get the car back in the garage and hook it up to the charger so it doesn't drain the battery. No matter how much I try I just can't get the key out. So, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the switch with the key still in the ignition? All the guides have the key already removed. Or is there a special way to get the key out, wiggling the key and lots of swearing doesn't seem to be working.

Post here on how to replace the lock but for you then look halfway through it .. you will see that the key shank is needed to remove the barrel but you need to take off the fob part first .
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=138859&highlight=

I would be removing the fob .. i would be spraying plenty of WD40 into the lock .. leave it a bit then wiggle it a lot to try and get it out whilst using pliers on the key shank .

If you have a Tip car though its the solenoid that is not releasing the key so totally different from a manual .

Thanks deMort, you're a god send and usual! I'll give this a go when the part arrives, probably a job for the weekend, but hopefully only with a modest amount of bad language.

One question though, do I need to disconnect the battery or not, I've seen both connected and disconnected in different guides.

It is a manual and not a tip BTW so the guide is bang on the money.

I dont disconnect the battery .. but thats because im lazy !

It's always safer to disconnect it though to be fair just in case .. i'm not sure of what but just in case :thumb:

Ign has to be on when disconnecting the battery on these or the alarm will trigger .

Managed to get the key out with a bit of WD40, more wiggling and the pliers which wasn't the easiest. I've got the instrument binnacle off and the air vent which wasn't too bad with a bit of patience. The only bad news is the part that the replacement switch turned up today and was the wrong part so needs to be returned. A new part has been ordered from a different supplier which hopefully won't take too long.

It won't lock with the key out but I guess if the switch is faulty that's to be expected.

9 times out of 10 its the rear electrical block that causes issues ..

Occasionally though it is the barrel or lock assembly .. as per that post we change the entire item .

Managed to fit the new part yesterday but struggled to get the complete assembly out, but with the air vent and binnacle out i managed to undo the screws holding the switch in place. From their it was straightforward and not too bad to get at, even for an oaf like me. The battery was flat but charged it up overnight and now it starts fine and the key comes out as it should. So I'm a happy bunny. :D

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back