Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearstick alignment tool with Tequipment short shifter

esendia

Monza
I swapped my standard 996 gear selector to the Tequipment short shifter a few years back after winning one on Ebay for just £30.

Massive improvement over stock but when fitted I did just pop the new cables in the same position as the old ones by counting the threads so just relied on them being close enough and though good I do feel the action could be slightly better.

I found on an old post that Porsche sell a small plastic tool that locks the shifter in the neutral position so you just disconnect and reconnect the cables to align them correctly, but also read that this tool is not compatible with the aftermarket short shifters but does anyone know if it's compatible with the Tequipment one?

Seemed worth a punt to just try when the tool was £4 but now it seems to have jumped up to £20 everywhere I look so it would be nice to know if it works before buying than potentially throw money at a tool that won't work for me.

Also I've seen the Tequpment shifter like I have had two versions, either sold with or without the metal shifter bushings, does anyone know if you can purchase these metal bushings separately? I know their are aftermarket ones but I'm a sucker for only fitting Porsche own stuff to my car as I've only had bad experiences with fitting non Porsche parts in the past.

Attachments

• 00072196191_lr1_198.jpg
    00072196191_lr1_198.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 539
  • img_3637_min_129.jpg
    img_3637_min_129.jpg
    959 KB · Views: 540
No need to use one. Just make sure that the travel is being limited at the gearbox end and not by you gearshift mechanism hitting the housing. I bought a dozen or so of these tools just before the price increase from Design 911 and have shifted a load on eBay but probably have a couple left. I have done a few quick shift installs. Never used the tool.

MC

I agree, I fitted a 997 shift modified by Alex and the Porsche tool won't fit.

I had some issues with gear selection (my gearbox is old and doesn't like selecting 2nd when cold) so I refitted my original shift using the tool and carefully marked the cable positions. I then fitted the 997 shift but gear selection wasn't good so I slightly altered the cable position until I got a good shift - that's all you need. If your shift is good now, leave well alone.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back