Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne sunroof (not panoramic) seal change

turbo-obsessor

I was getting quite some wind noise from the sunroof (the small glass roof not the panoramic one) when travelling above 60mph.
The seal around the edge looked weathered so I decided to change it
Very easy job...less than an hour.
Incidentally, my local indie didn't want to help as they weren't sure how to take out and were worried about breaking something

Tools needed: torx driver, washing up liquid, torch (it can be tricky seeing the torx screws)
New seal part # is 95856429700 (needed ordering from Germany) About GBP160

1. Choose a sunny dry day
2. Put roof into tilt position. Dont move from this position until done
3. Remove the bellows on each side. They simply clip off. Pull from top first then bottom
4. Unscrew the 3 torx screws on each side
5. Push glass out from underneath (inside car) and place gently half out on roof (maybe put a blanket on roof to avoid scratching roof)
6. Remove old seal by pulling away from the bedding around the glass panel. Notice that the seal has isn't symmetrical in its profile. There's a slight indent/water channel on the bottom edge. Make sure you put new one on with this channel at bottom (see photos)
7. Clean the bedding around the glass panel and add a little washing up liquid to allow the new seal to push in easily
8. Pushing in new seal. It isnt pre-shaped so you can start where you want. As you feed it in, it should snap into the bed easily but simply pushing it in. Run all the way round and ensure it's fully bedded. As you get to the last bit it does seem the seal is a little too long but it does all snap in nicely
9. Clean the edge of the opening as grime will have collected here
10. Put the roof glass back on...you'll have to part place in the opening and then move into position from inside. Ensure it slots back into the channel and the holes should line up. Have a look from above to check its square. Dont do what i did and put it in back to front (doh!)... it wont shut. The front of the glass should be almost flush with the opening. If not its probably in backwards
11. Insert the 3 torx screws each side but dont fully tighten as you;ll need to level the glass with the roof. The new seal will be more of an interference fit than the old shrunken one so the sensor on the roof closer stops it shutting. Add a little washing up liquid to the seal at the rear of the glass panel to help it slide in. You may need to push down to help get around the closing sensor which stops if it senses an obstruction. Once seated you should be able to wiggle the glass panel to be flush with the roof and then tighten the torx.
12. Replace bellows

The closing sensor still stops it shutting fully (on tilt) on mine as the seal will need a little more compressing. I suspect it'll bed in over time.

I've yet to test if it stops the wind noise but will update when I next go above 60

In all a very easy job.

Attachments

• screenshot_20210507_150750_photos_350.jpg
    screenshot_20210507_150750_photos_350.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 3,468
  • screenshot_20210507_151002_photos_128.jpg
    screenshot_20210507_151002_photos_128.jpg
    1,000.3 KB · Views: 3,468
  • screenshot_20210507_151021_photos_203.jpg
    screenshot_20210507_151021_photos_203.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,468
  • screenshot_20210507_150905_photos_189.jpg
    screenshot_20210507_150905_photos_189.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 3,468
Excellent post and your local Indy seems to be on the "shy" side . lol

It's not a hard job as you have proved

Strange as it may seem .. birds in nesting season use this seal as nest material .. seagulls actively rip it apart .. living by the coast i know this !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back