Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cat D Cayman R on Collecting Cars

JonnieD

Nurburgring
I don't know if anyone has seen this, but there's quite a nice Cayman R on CC at the moment: https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2012-porsche-987-cayman-r

Sure its a Cat D but looks nicely sorted, and might end up being a great value car for someone.

Any guesses on what it'll go for? They seem to be in the £30 - £40K range for a straight one depending on mileage.

I guess there's not much interest in market activity for Boxster & Cayman on here then, I hadn't noticed before how poorly this forum is frequented :eh!:

Anyway, I was interested to see that Cayman R sold for £28.6k on CC which sounds about right for a Cat D car. It seems that the ca. 30% lower than normal/expected price was met. I guess the Cayman R isn't as popular as it once was, I guess overshadowed by the GTS / GT4 / Spyder.

It does I think show though that Categorised Porsche cars do attract less attention than they do for other marques. For some reason there's more scepticism from the Porsche owning community. However it does mean one can get much more for your money here than elsewhere!

:thumbs:

JonnieD said:
I guess there's not much interest in market activity for Boxster & Cayman on here then, I hadn't noticed before how poorly this forum is frequented :eh!:

Anyway, I was interested to see that Cayman R sold for £28.6k on CC which sounds about right for a Cat D car. It seems that the ca. 30% lower than normal/expected price was met. I guess the Cayman R isn't as popular as it once was, I guess overshadowed by the GTS / GT4 / Spyder.

It does I think show though that Categorised Porsche cars do attract less attention than they do for other marques. For some reason there's more scepticism from the Porsche owning community. However it does mean one can get much more for your money here than elsewhere!

There are a few 911uk members that have, or have had, Boxsters and Caymans but I suspect that most 911 owners don't look at threads discussing them.

Similarly, as you have already said, there's very little interest in 'Cat cars' in the Porsche World and I'd also guess that there's limited interest in cars for sale at auction.

The fact that your thread title included all three of those topics was always going to limit the number of views and responses you'd get. :wink:

I think you're absolutely right in your statements about comparative values of Cat Porsches vs straight ones and their desirability.

I'm a Boxster owner (sort of)

Strong money for what it is. The Cayman R was sought after when they came out and still hold value compared to a regular Cayman S of the same year.

Love all Pork, been in many a variant, owned only a Cayman and now Boxster. All Pork is good Pork in my view.

T8 is correct though, that part of the forum is lesser viewed. I surf the forum using the 'recent threads' scrolling box at the top, I don't limit myself where as others might :thumb:

I think if you're buying a Cat D, as long as you are 100% the damage was as stated and it was properly repaired then fair play. I'd also only buy the car if I was going to keep it forever.

Look on PH the CaymanR thread Pg444 onwards. This car has been discussed in detail and the level of the damage it received especially as it is a 'returning' vehicle. Some suggestion the roofline became creased which suggests a fair old wack :what:

Cayman R is a small select pool of owners who more or less know all the cars in the UK to have some sort of input.

Zingari said:
Look on PH the CaymanR thread Pg444 onwards. This car has been discussed in detail and the level of the damage it received especially as it is a 'returnig' vehicle. Some suggestion the roofline became creased which suggests a fair old wack :what:

Cayman R is a small select pool of owners who more or less know all the cars in the UK to have some sort of input.

I didn't see that thread on PH about that car, I'll take a look at that.

I saw the pic of the damaged car on CC though, and thought that a Cat D rating for that seems a bit light! It probably should be a Cat S.

I still think £28K for that is not bad value. But I'd only reserve that if I could prove it was properly repaired, or inspected by a recognised 3rd party engineer capable of that. An OPC 111 point check is not sufficient in my view!

T8 said:
JonnieD said:

There are a few 911uk members that have, or have had, Boxsters and Caymans but I suspect that most 911 owners don't look at threads discussing them.

Similarly, as you have already said, there's very little interest in 'Cat cars' in the Porsche World and I'd also guess that there's limited interest in cars for sale at auction.

The fact that your thread title included all three of those topics was always going to limit the number of views and responses you'd get. :wink:

I think you're absolutely right in your statements about comparative values of Cat Porsches vs straight ones and their desirability.

I totally agree with your assessment T8.

Funnily enough though I posted it first without the Cat D in the title, then added it when there were no replies :roll: :roll:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back