Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Blue Smoke On Cold Start Up

L1OFF

Silverstone
Hopefully not an issue but thought I would ask, my 3.6 C2 has been parked up on the drive for a week (drive is a 25deg incline). The car has been started briefly a couple of times to move \ test new 997 shifter but not warmed up. I had to move it today as the wife's mini cooper needed to go on battery charge and it produced blue smoke from the N\S exhaust for about 15-20 seconds and then cleared. Engine sounds fine with no strange noises. Thinking about it, does any oil in the bores stay there and not drain back (especially on the incline, engine was lowest point) and get burnt off at start up?
I cant really give it a good run as I'm waiting for the suspension parts and have a leaking rear shock (clonking).

Should I worry and plan for a big bill? :eek:

Alan

In the current weather condition (Bloomin Baltic) and the fact its been stood a while it's hard to say. Wouldn't worry about it until you're up and running normally and can monitor oil consumption. I have a fair poof coming out my left pipe at start up, then it clears and my right one does the same :dont know:
Always done it everyday for 7 years and doesn't use virtually any oil or water.

I wouldn't worry. If you have started it a few times briefly but not got hot you will have a small build up of fuel/oil/ moisture etc and will burn it off. Once it's had a decent run and got hot it will probably be clean on start up

:oops:

What goes on the forum stays on the forum :wink:

I expect it's oil running into the rear most two cylinders due to being parked on the incline. 25 degrees is very steep. Is there no way to avoid that? At least alternate parking nose down with tail down?

Some of the angles I see cars parked on round here scare the youknowwhat out of me. Oil will potentially be getting to places it shouldn't and not getting to places it should. In the extreme if either of your rear cylinders filled with oil to the point your piston couldn't complete its stroke it would get very expensive very quickly. It's probably unlikely because it's probably filling from the head, but still...

When we were buying a house the estate agent asked what our requirements were. I said off street parking for two cars with a level drive. He looked at me quizzically. I explained I jack up one of the two cars most weekends. He said most people play golf :oops:

Probably would only ever be an issue with boxer engines.

Update

Left overnight on level ground, started up this morning slight blue haze, short drive to warm her through (first time on lower temp thermostat) all looks good now. (Touch Wood).

Car will be fine mate. Early teething paranoia. We've all been there.

Used to live the paranoia with TVR's S6 (Sagaris & Tuscan) with "chocolate" fingers but never had an issue :lol:

I am expecting a visit to Hartech at some point but not (hopefully) for a couple+ of years.

L1OFF said:
I am expecting a visit to Hartech at some point but not (hopefully) for a couple+ of years.

Alex said:
Car will be fine mate. Early teething paranoia. We've all been there.

:agree:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back