Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Remote Locking

PhilipR

Have a 2002 cab tiptronic. my car lock has developed a really infuriating problem, the first time it happened my car keys were inside the car when the car locked itself, AA came to rescue.
This has happened a few times now, after unlocking the car via the remote after a few minutes I hear the central locking come on, stopping any access. It doesn't happen all the time though.
I have now "hidden" my spare key outside the car just in case it happens again
I've looked through all the forums etc. and can't find anything relating to my problem

1st thing to check is whether the car knows you've opened the door after unlocking the car. When you unlock the car it's on a timer. If a door isn't open within that time, the car will lock itself. Are the interior lights coming on when you open the door? If they do then that's not the problem, if they don't then the car doesn't knowe you've opened a door and that's the issue.

My car has done this a few times, with other door lock issues, I fixed the dropping window having rebuilt the micro switch but now the drivers door has stoped locking, alarm is set. Time for some new door locks taking up too much of my time now.

That's very interesting.
I never knew about the timer, even though I've had a few 996/997's this has never happened before
How long is the span of the timer, and can put be adjusted ?
I've never actually noticed about the interior light.

That's very interesting.
I never knew about the timer, even though I've had a few 996/997's this has never happened before
How long is the span of the timer, and can put be adjusted ?
I've never actually noticed about the interior light.

It's about 30 seconds. Annoys me when I open my boot to put the shopping in, by the time I've done that the car has locked itself again as neither of the doors have been opened.

30 secs is about right
Can you bypass it, it was very embarrassing especially when the keys, phone and money are inside

You might be asble to switch it off with a durametric or PIWIS (porsche diagnostic tool). But it shouldn't lock itself if either door has been opened. Looks like the car doesn't know the door has been opened, hence me asking you to check your interior lights come on when you open the door.

When the AA were called I had driven the car, so the doors had been opened, the keys were in the ignition with the engine off, when the doors locked. The AA managed to get a wire to the ignition and pull the keys out to retrieve them.
I'll have to monitor the situation next time to see whether the interior light is on.
Thanks for your help

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back