Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 MOST Stereo total replacement

martinsamm

So, my 996 has the MOST fibre network stereo. i've seen ways to splice in bluetooth etc but has anyone just gone for it and replaced the whole lot to put in a more 'normal' setup?

Yes. My most amp failed so I replaced it with a normal amp and swapped out the head unit for a Sony car play.

you mean swapping the amp and head unit ?

Yes, have done this twice. Its not to complex to do, but to do seamlessly is quite a lot of time - but looks and works well. The very large plug on the BOSE amp has all the speaker wires on it, and there are a few locations you can choose to mount a 4 or 5 channel amp, and there are conveniently small ones. I have a mile of diagrams if you need them and where to source the bits. Keep in mind that the Bose speakers are 2 ohm. They are also rubbish, and Bose's mantra is to add a lot of signal processing to achieve decent sound quality, so you very quickly end up replacing the speakers. If you have a factory sub, you take out the 4,567 screws holding it together and convert it from two speakers in parallel to two speakers in series as I think its 1 ohm naturally. There low impedances will really be too low for any amp you can buy that i've ever heard of

I'm in the process of something similar, though I've not got a MOST system. I've done all the speakers aside from the sub and an Alpine 5 channel amp is next, paired with the Android HU, though I don't know if that's staying. The Alpine amp can detect the impedance of the speakers and I aim to run the door and woofers in series. There's an article on CAI on how to do this. Wish me luck.

If you have a factory sub, you take out the 4,567 screws holding it together and convert it from two speakers in parallel to two speakers in series as I think its 1 ohm naturally. There low impedances will really be too low for any amp you can buy that i've ever heard of
When I was a kid I had an unhealthy interest in car stereo stuff. Back then the better American Amps were stable down to 1 ohm I believe. I had a Pheonix Gold m50 which was the bigger version of the m25 - the one below. However I wouldn't necessarily recommend one like that today.

s-l1600.webp

If you have a factory sub, you take out the 4,567 screws holding it together and convert it from two speakers in parallel to two speakers in series as I think its 1 ohm naturally. There low impedances will really be too low for any amp you can buy that i've ever heard of
When I was a kid I had an unhealthy interest in car stereo stuff. Back then the better American Amps were stable down to 1 ohm I believe. I had a Pheonix Gold m50 which was the bigger version of the m25 - the one below. However I wouldn't necessarily recommend one like that today.

IMG

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back