Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 as a track car

I was in the same situation, I used to track my 996, its full fat and not stripped out but I had two engine failures while on track, both at the Top Gear, Dunsfolds track, a cam chain snapped and then a crankshaft, both cost a fair bit to repair but luckily I was able to rebuild the engines myself so it was mostly just the cost of parts.

My dilemma was that I still wanted to enjoy track days and that I wouldn't want a front wheel drive car, it would have to be normal aspirated and manual too. I searched for a couple of years and almost decided I liked the idea of a BMW compact with the 2.5 engine, light and just enough power with decent handling out of the box, it would never be the 996 but a decent compromise and if I broke it or binned it the cost would nothing like another 996 engine rebuild.

Then I thought I would miss out on the dedicated Porsche track days, which are a lot of fun and the driving manners are way above what mixed track days are and I would also need to hang around with the BMW fraternity in a 325 :nooo:

My final decision was to get a 944 and it was the perfect idea, I bought a 944S, a little bit rare car but if this let go it was reasonably cheap to repair and I could keep in with the Jones'. It has just under 200bhp and handles like a dream and it's fitted with buckets and is stripped out. It is so much fun to drive on track, no driver aids at all, just you and the car, the drive to and from the track is also an event in itself. it cost £2100 and has actually gone up in value, outweighing the money I have put in to it getting it how I want it.

YKpWHjk.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back