Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 Headlight Issue

No, only Litronics have the washers. As I understand it, Litronics were available as an upgrade from Porsche and as such, they didn't have levelling or connected washers.

I had a look at the MOT notes earlier in the year, I know our MOT girl well, and the 996 can have Xenons retrofitted no problem.

Washers only need to be present if the car is first used after September 1st 2009.

The new rule brought in 1st March 2021, meaning a car would fail an mot if hid/xenon conversion, if newer than 1986....

MOT special notice 01-21: headlamp conversions​

....was then withdrawn in March this year.

We now have the following....

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements​

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

You can identify HID headlamps from:

• ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
  • an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
  • taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
  • a bluish tinge to the light

In other words, stick a bulb into reflectors and it will fail, put it in a proper proctor and as long as it meets all the other requirements, like aim etc. it will be fine.
And, it doesn't need auto levelling or washer system if the car was first used before September 2009.

Also worth bearing in mind, unlike most cars when you load the 'trunk' on a 911 you are lowering the headlight beam, rather than raising it which could dazzle oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
I've got their 996.1 litronic system fitted - extremely effective. Hard to see how an MOT station can tell the difference between retrofitlabs and standard xenons? Don't all 996.2s have integrated washers?
"Litronic" is Porches name for Xenon. 996.2 don't all have headlight washers \ self levelling (mine doesn't). I spent a couple of hours looking for suitable replacement headlights (complete units) , unless spending C£4K for OEM or £1k for an unknown reflector condition on Ebay the aftermarket units (nobody seems to have them in stock anyway) look like something you'd get from Halford's and fit on a Vauxhall Corsa.

I had a look at the MOT notes earlier in the year, I know our MOT girl well, and the 996 can have Xenons retrofitted no problem.

Washers only need to be present if the car is first used after September 1st 2009.

The new rule brought in 1st March 2021, meaning a car would fail an mot if hid/xenon conversion, if newer than 1986....

MOT special notice 01-21: headlamp conversions​

....was then withdrawn in March this year.

We now have the following....

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements​

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

This does not refer to complete replacement headlamp units which may be constructed with HID or LED light sources.

If a complete headlamp unit has been replaced with a unit that was manufactured with HID or LED light sources, it must not be failed for ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ but it must meet all other requirements detailed in section 4 of this manual specific to the type fitted at the time of test.

You can identify HID headlamps from:

• ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
  • an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
  • taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
  • a bluish tinge to the light

In other words, stick a bulb into reflectors and it will fail, put it in a proper proctor and as long as it meets all the other requirements, like aim etc. it will be fine.
And, it doesn't need auto levelling or washer system if the car was first used before September 2009.
To you Sir I owe a beer. :)

Just updating on this, had a conversation with the MOT inspector. We went through the DOT regulation 4.1.4, one question he did ask is in the regulation it states that to recognise an HID\LED headlit unit it had a "DTR" mark on the lens or body. I've checked my headlight unit and can't see this mark. I've no doubt he would look for this so I'll just take it elsewhere.

Ah my mistake I thought all 996.2 headlights had the silver blob but now I check clearly not. I managed to snag some knackered litronics for super cheap and retrofitted those, haven't got washer or self levelling but I don't think that's required and certainly it's never been picked up on an MOT.

Maybe worth getting some non litronics and swapping the headlights out for an MOT if you are super keen, as I'm sure you know it's a ten second job.

Just as an update on this, I took the car to the MOT station and argued with the chap doing the MOT that the headlight unit (that is the key to the argument) was not specifically a "halogen" headlight units which is the wording of the MOT regulation 4.1.4 (you cannot fit "Xenon" bulbs in a Halogen Headlight unit). The 996.2 headlight units are identical for Litronic and Halogen (apart from the projector) so fitting a new projector into the headlight is OK. 4.1.section states Headlight washing must work (only applicable for vehicle manufacturer >2009, so not applicable) and self levelling MAY BE FITTED (so not applicable). New MOT acquired with the garages apology.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back