Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 | Cracked head? Need help in diagnosis of video

Blow gasket / cracked head ?

• Yes - wallet will hurt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - check first X Y Z

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CarPlebs

Trainee
Hi all,

(youtube results linked below)

Well here I am again with a quick diagnosis based on experience.

(cap is new and expansion tank fairly new also)
(no intermix present)

I have noticed coolant disappearing, after which it was identified that some pipes were leaking and we proactively changed the water pump as well. Exterior leaks disappeared, however I have noticed that the coolant level keeps decreasing to MIN after longer (100km) drives. I keep refilling to the same effect. We checked radiators etc. and all seems to be fine. Pressure test as well.

Mechanik stated it's likely a cracked head. So I decided to buy the amazon head gasket kit to test.

As for the results, I let the engine get to nearly operating temperature. I did some revving and there are both bubbles and apparent vacuum which I do not understand.

In terms of the video.

Cold (6 celsius, 42 fahrenheit)

the beginning is just the end showing that there are no bubbles in the liquid whilst at near operating temp. Also for sanities sake I put the blue liquid on my hand and next to the exhaust to confirm that it works. Fluid only changes a bit in terms of color, please compare start to end.

6:55 1st rev

12:36 2nd rev

reaches near operating temp.

17:10 3rd rev

Is the head gasket blown? Why does the fluid keep going to the min mark after the refill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kxtn0Z8M5s&ab_channel=Carplebs

Thanks!

Attachments

• screenshot_2022_11_23_at_75345_pm_199.png
    screenshot_2022_11_23_at_75345_pm_199.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 623
Have you visually checked your oil cooler?

Alex said:
Have you visually checked your oil cooler?

hey there, the heat exchanger ? If yes then I have not. But the color of the liquid changed a bit.

I don't think I have ever heard of a 3.6 cracking a head and equally head gaskets don't usually leak, I had a leak on my near side rad this year and there were no tell tale signs but I was topping up quite often, it took a few weeks for the leak to get to a point that I spotted a bit of damp at the bottom of the rad.

I see you have pressure tested but mine only leaked slightly when I was on the move and the engine was pressuring the system more and was why it took a while to find the leak.

The heat exchanger could be leaking, as mentioned, losing coolant onto the top of the engine and then evaporating from the heat of the engine before anything drips onto the floor?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back