Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 Hot start issue

MarkGolf

Sao Paulo
Evening,

My 964 has started to play up and I am pretty worried as I NEED the car to work, without fail on Monday for a magazine shoot.

I don't use it much as last weekend, I went to bring it back to life, connected the battery, fired up no problem and was running for about 20-30 mins while I pumped the tyres up and did odd bits. It then just cut out and wouldn't crank, no click from the starter, nothing. Lights would show on the gauges but I had nothing else. The last time I saw the car, I had just rebuilt the distributor unit and fitted new dizzy caps/rotors.

Left it for a few hours and it started on first try.

Today, took it for an MOT, fired up fine cold. Got to the MOT station, tried to start the car and it just cranked over, tried again, applied some throttle and it spluttered to life..

On way home, stopped for fuel, same thing..

Any ideas on what to look at?

Google searching suggests all sorts, DME, Fuel pressure reg, fuel return valve, temp sensor, crank sensor, bad earths etc etc

I just wanted to ask to see if anyone has any specific answers to my symptoms.

If I need to replace parts, I am not going to be able to get any replacement parts before my shoot on Monday morning, are there any work arounds should the car fail to fire up because of X Y Z?

Cheers!
Mark

Mark i had this hot start problem it was the starter motor

I had the same problem on my 964 turbo and it was the fuel pump,if that helps

Big Jock said:
I had the same problem on my 964 turbo and it was the fuel pump,if that helps

I had fuel pump issue recently as well but it wasn't necessarily when the engine was hot , my hot start was the starter motor :wink:

MarkGolf said:
Cheers guys.

My car still cranks over fine, it just doesn't fire up, did your old starter still turn the engine over ok?

I'll check the pump out tomorrow, I did wonder if it was old fuel, probably 10 months old..

Turned over just fine , i was surprised the issue was the starter, usually failed when at the petrel station with someone waiting behind :grin:

Ok thanks, seems odd but a lot of threads suggest the same thing!

My car did sometbing new today, from a cold start, it did not want to fire until I applied some throttle.. once it started, it was misfiring and running rough, this would not clear.

I shut the car off and then restarted and all was well, aside from adding some throttle..

so my main issue, is having to apply throttle to start.. I'm not sure that's gonna be the starter motor now

MarkGolf said:
Ok thanks, seems odd but a lot of threads suggest the same thing!

My car did sometbing new today, from a cold start, it did not want to fire until I applied some throttle.. once it started, it was misfiring and running rough, this would not clear.

I shut the car off and then restarted and all was well, aside from adding some throttle..

so my main issue, is having to apply throttle to start.. I'm not sure that's gonna be the starter motor now

Mine was like that in March and it was the fuel pump ,it was hard to start and it would also cut out at the lights and not start again, also it would die as i was driving , the guy who looks after my car had failed to diagnose the fuel pump fault as he recons they normally just give up all together .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back